Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Bon Appetit, November 2000, submitted by Bobbi Claibourne, Tucson, AZ. This sounds wonderful. Plan on some good bread to soak up the juices. Makes 6 first course servings or you can serve over pasta for an entree. You can also add some mussels or substitute mussels for the clams.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 453.59 g hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 118.29 ml chopped shallot
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1.23 ml dry crushed red pepper
- 411.06 g can diced tomatoes with juice
- 236.59 ml canned low sodium chicken broth
- 29.58 ml balsamic vinegar
- 1814.36 g littleneck clams, scrubbed (about 3 dozen)
- 118.29 ml chopped fresh basil
- Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add sausages; saute until almost cooked through, breaking up with fork, about 10 minutes.
- Add shallots, garlic and dried red pepper.
- Saute until sausage is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in tomatoes with juices, broth and vinegar.
- Add clams, cover and boil until clams open, about 8 minutes (discard any clams that do not open).
- Mix in basil.