Recipe by lazyme
From Bon Appetit, November 2000, submitted by Bobbi Claibourne, Tucson, AZ. This sounds wonderful. Plan on some good bread to soak up the juices. Makes 6 first course servings or you can serve over pasta for an entree. You can also add some mussels or substitute mussels for the clams.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 453.59 g hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 118.29 ml chopped shallot
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1.23 ml dry crushed red pepper
- 411.06 g can diced tomatoes with juice
- 236.59 ml canned low sodium chicken broth
- 29.58 ml balsamic vinegar
- 1814.36 g littleneck clams, scrubbed (about 3 dozen)
- 118.29 ml chopped fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add sausages; saute until almost cooked through, breaking up with fork, about 10 minutes.
- Add shallots, garlic and dried red pepper.
- Saute until sausage is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in tomatoes with juices, broth and vinegar.
- Add clams, cover and boil until clams open, about 8 minutes (discard any clams that do not open).
- Mix in basil.