Recipe by daisygrl64
For the Clam and Chorizo lovers, this is a easy dish, full of flavor. I made it a few years back and let me say, using some crusty bread to soak up this sauce is a must! Make it a Romantic dish or serve to your party guests. It is sure to please! I got this recipe from a 2006 Canadian Living magazine, and I forgot all about it, until I went through my cookbooks. This can be served as a appetizer as well. Please enjoy :)
Top Review by Maito
Yummy and spicy with Mexican chorizo too. I used lots more basil and littleneck clams, so they were open in about 4-5 minutes. Potatoes will be great in the leftovers - portions very generous!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chorizo sausage (cut lengthwise and thinly sliced )
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar or 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 4 lbs clams (scrubbed)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a dutch oven heat olive oil over medium heat.
- fry chorizo, onion, garlic, salt and pepper stirring until onion are golden.
- stir in tomatoes and vinegar.
- cook over medium heat until tomatoes are tender (about 15 minutes).
- add clams, cover and bring to a boil.
- cook just until clams open wide (8 to 10 minutes).
- discard any clams that do not open.
- Remove from heat, stir in basil and serve.
- served with crusty bread to sop up sauce.