4 hrs 40 mins
4 hrs 30 mins
With a large Portuguese population in RI, this is typical of how steamed clams are served ('steamers'). This is a combo of several recipes. It's great w/some crusty bread to sop us the broth. Prep time includes 4 hrs cold water bath in fridge.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 lbs linguica sausage or 2 lbs chorizo sausage, sliced into 3 to 4 inch lengths (portuguese sausage)
- 1 large onion, sliced into wedges
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup water
- 5 lbs clams in shell (smaller the better)
- lemon wedge (optional)
- chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- cilantro (optional)
- 1Prepare clams: put them in a bowl or pan and cover with cold water; add some cornmeal& salt to the water- they'll ingest this and'spit out' any sand they're carrying.
- 2Leave them in this for 4 hrs, changing to clean water about halfway through.
- 3Discard any open clams.
- 4In a large stockpot, warm the oil over medium heat.
- 5Add the garlic& red pepper; saute until garlic is golden.
- 6Add the sausage, onion, tomatoes, wine& water; stir to mix.
- 7Add the clams, turn heat to high& cover- steam until clams open- approximately 8 minutes.
- 8Discard any clams that do not open.
- 9Divide clams and broth into 5 soup bowls; if desired, sprinkle with parsley& cilantro and serve with a lemon wedge.
Browse Our Top Clams Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clams Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steamed Clams, Portuguese Style
Serving Size: 1 (267 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 204.0
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 23.1 mg
- Sodium 220.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 9.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: