Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep4 hrs 30 mins
With a large Portuguese population in RI, this is typical of how steamed clams are served ('steamers'). This is a combo of several recipes. It's great w/some crusty bread to sop us the broth. Prep time includes 4 hrs cold water bath in fridge.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 lbs linguica sausage or 2 lbs chorizo sausage, sliced into 3 to 4 inch lengths (portuguese sausage)
- 1 large onion, sliced into wedges
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup water
- 5 lbs clams in shell (smaller the better)
- lemon wedge (optional)
- chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- cilantro (optional)
- Prepare clams: put them in a bowl or pan and cover with cold water; add some cornmeal& salt to the water- they'll ingest this and'spit out' any sand they're carrying.
- Leave them in this for 4 hrs, changing to clean water about halfway through.
- Discard any open clams.
- In a large stockpot, warm the oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic& red pepper; saute until garlic is golden.
- Add the sausage, onion, tomatoes, wine& water; stir to mix.
- Add the clams, turn heat to high& cover- steam until clams open- approximately 8 minutes.
- Discard any clams that do not open.
- Divide clams and broth into 5 soup bowls; if desired, sprinkle with parsley& cilantro and serve with a lemon wedge.