Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
Simple & tasty, using ingredients you probably have on hand. Prep time includes time to soak & clean clams.
- 2 lbs littleneck clams (or other small clam)
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer (something light like Sam Adams Summer Ale)
- 2 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 1⁄2 lemon, sliced into wedges
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- fresh ground pepper
- Clean clams by sprinkling with corn meal, covering with cold (iced) water, and letting sit for 1-1 1/2 hours. Drain, scrub, and rinse before cooking.
- Combine all ingredients, except clams, in a large pot.
- Bring to slow boil over medium heat.
- Add clams, turn up heat to medium-high, and cover.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes, until shells are wide open.
- Discard any clams that do not open with the others, this means they are bad.
- Serve with broth (either poured over clams in a large bowl or for dipping in smaller bow(s). (strain through cheesecloth, if desired, to remove any remaining grit.).