Recipe by ellie_
I came across this recipe and first thing I thought was "Not the Steamed Clams I grew up on" but thought this was a more elegant version of the steamed clams I loved eating as a kid in the summer. I haven't tried this recipe yet but can't wait to try these and surprise my family with these. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (March 1984)
Top Review by umamidana
I LOVED this recipe Ellie. This was my first time making clams and this was fool-proof. I added a lot more garlic just because I love it, but accidently forgot the red pepper flakes. It was still very good. I will be making this again for sure.
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 1⁄2 lbs clams, scrubbed
- lemon wedge, garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In the bottom of a steamer bring 2 tablespoons butter, wine, water, parsley and hot pepper sauce to a boil.
- Arrange clams on rack and place in steamer. Cover and steam for 6-10 minutes or until clams open. Discard any clams that do not open.
- Divide clams (in their shells) in two bowls.
- Strain broth and ladle over clams.
- Divide remaining butter (4 tablespoons) between 2 small dishes (for dipping). Garnish with lemon wedges, if desired.