Prep 20 mins
Cook 18 mins
From The Steamer Cookbook.
- 2 lbs fresh clams
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 shallot, coarsely chopped
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- Scrub clams with a small brush and place in a bowl with water to cover.
- Add salt and allow to stand for an hour, stirring clams around once or twice. (Gets rid of sand).
- Rinse clams and place in a shallow bowl with sides that will fit into steamer with an inch clearance for steam to circulate.
- Add white wine, shallot and red pepper flakes.
- When steamer water comes to a boil, time clams to steam 15-18 minutes or until shells open.
- Discard any clams that do not open.
- Remove clams from steamer and serve in individual bowls.
- Strain wine and shallot liquid through a filter or cheesecloth and pour over clams.
- Serve with hot garlic bread and a crisp white wine.