Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Recipe from "Light and Easy Diabetes Cuisine"
- napa cabbage (about 1-1/2 pounds) or green cabbage (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- Core cabbage and slice thinly.
- In a small saucepan, mix vinegar, fructose, pepper flakes,caraway seeds, salt, a few dashes of pepper and water;bring to a boil. Cook about 4 minutes and remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, fill a large kettle with about 1 inch of water and bring to a boil.
- Place cabbage slices and bell pepper in a steamer basket and place over water.
- Steam, covered,3 minutes.
- Remove to a serving bowl.
- Pour sauce through a strainer over cabbage and toss well.
I don't think my cabbage was fully steamed; it was too "crisp" for our tastes. There was a little too much bite sometimes, and not enough in others... I don't know why, but the sauce didn't seem too be evenly distributed, even though I did toss it quite well. I skipped the caraway seeds. Thanks for posting.
I had never cooked steamed cabbage before, and I enjoyed the tender-crispy cabbage and the tangy sauce. I doubled the sauce; I like the taste of vinegar so I poured the extra on my cabbage. I also added some more salt, but that's because I use a lot of salt in everything (not healthy, though). Yum! Thanks for posting this delicious way to cook cabbage.