Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
Sort of like the ones you get eating dim sum.
Make and share this Steamed Buns With Meat Filling recipe from Food.com.
- In a large bowl, combine yeast and 1/4 cup water. Let stand for 5 minutes, until foamy.
- Add 2 1/2 cups flour, sugar, water, milk, shortening and baking powder and stir well.
- Add remaining flour gradually until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 2-3 minutes.
- Place in a large ziploc bag to rise (or a bowl, covered with plastic wrap) until doubled, 45-60 minutes.
- Cut 12 3-inch squares of parchment paper.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and flatten. Divide dough into 12 pieces.
- Keeping the unused pieces of dough covered with a dish towel, flatten a piece of dough into a circle with the center slightly thicker than the outside (approx 4-5 inches in diameter).
- Place about 2 tbsp filling in the center of the dough and close the dough around the filling, pinching to seal. Place seam-side down on a square of parchment and place on a baking sheet.
- Repeat with all dough. Cover baking sheet with a clean dish towel and let rise for 15-20 minutes.
- Steam buns for 18-20 minutes, in batches if necessary, until springy to the touch. Serve hot.