Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
My Italian mother made broccoli at least 2 times a week, every week -- and now I do the same for my DH and 3 sons: they devour mountains of this broccoli. It's so good for you!
- 1 head broccoli (the smaller and more purple the buds, the better)
- 1 fresh lemon
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Rinse the broccoli and trim off the very bottom of the thick stem. You can either steam the entire head whole or cut it up into florets.
- Steam the broccoli (but don't over cook it).
- Lay out on a platter.
- Drizzle with lots of fresh lemon juice.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil to taste.
- (Optional) add fresh minced garlic to taste.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- This can be served either hot or room temperature.
How my mom always made broccoli too. It is quick and simple and tasty. We used Meyer lemons from our tree and that's the best part!
It doesn't get better than this. Fresh, flavorful, outstanding flavor (including the fresh garlic). Sometimes I sprinkle it with a bit of grated parmesan or Balsamic vinegar instead of lemon. Many thanks for your lovely recipe.
LOVED IT! My husband and I ate the whole bowl! Followed instructions accept for the salt. I thought the garlic would over power it, but it didn't. The lemon is what made it so light fresh and yummy! I had it with grilled chicken, but I know this will go well with fish steak or anything. Healthy too! Thanks for sharing!