Recipe by Metric Jester
This is the first of my many experiments with barley. Oddly enough, it is also the base for a lot of my barley recipes. I often use it instead of steamed rice, and since it's already cooked it works well in soups without soaking up too much of the broth.
Top Review by Nif
A nice simple way to make barley! One word of caution is that you should use a bigger pot than you normally would for rice or something similar. I had this on the lowest heat setting and it still kept boiling over. I used organic chicken broth and it added nice amount of flavour. A healthy and yummy recipe that I made for my adopted chef for this round of Pick A Chef! Thanks Metric Jester! :)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place barley and water in medium sauce pan, stirring once to even out barley.
- Heat uncovered on high until just boiling (about 5 minutes).
- Stir once more, cover and reduce to simmer for 20 to 30 minutes (do not over cook as barley will stick to anything!).
- Most importantly, toss barley to release steam and get air to every grain. This will keep it from sticking.
- Now you can use it instead of rice in almost any dish, and add a bit of fibre to your diet.
- NOTE: Barley can absorb even more liquid than this, so you can add it to soup, or make a gravy with it.