Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe from our bunch of asparagus and says it's from Sunset Magazine.
Make and share this Steamed Asparagus With Orange Butter Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- Rinse asparagus well, trim bottoms an stand upright in a steamer with water to cover 1/2 inch of the stalks.
- Steam until crisp-tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Drain and keep warm.
- In the meanwhile, melt 1T of butter in a wide frying pan over medium heat. Add shallots/onion and cook, stirring until soft.
- Add mustard and juice. Bring to a boil over high heat and reduce to 1/3 cup.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in remaining.
- Place asparagus on a serving platter and top with the sauce.
We prefer our asparagus roasted and for this particular recipe I think it would would better. (Pop in the oven for about 7-10 minutes @ 400º.) We felt there was too much butter and I would reduce by half next time. PS if using green onions, I would not saute them in the butter but simply garnish on top of the asparagus. Used fresh minneola juice from our CSA box and green onions, too. My husband and I both loved this! Reviewed for Veg Tag March and Spain/Portugual: Cebolletas/March.
This was a really tasty way to dress up asparagus, I thought the orange, mustard, and shallot mix was wonderfully subtle. I would taken a picture but I...uhhh...ate the whole thing. That being said, I probably would have used about half as much butter. Not because it tasted bad, mind you, but I tasted the sauce before I added the rest of the butter and it was just as good but 1/4 as fatty. Thanks for this!