Recipe by JanuaryBride
Recipe from our bunch of asparagus and says it's from Sunset Magazine.
Top Review by COOKGIRl
We prefer our asparagus roasted and for this particular recipe I think it would would better. (Pop in the oven for about 7-10 minutes @ 400º.) We felt there was too much butter and I would reduce by half next time. PS if using green onions, I would not saute them in the butter but simply garnish on top of the asparagus. Used fresh minneola juice from our CSA box and green onions, too. My husband and I both loved this! Reviewed for Veg Tag March and Spain/Portugual: Cebolletas/March.
- 2 lbs fresh asparagus
- 1⁄2 cup butter (may sub margarine)
- 1⁄3 cup minced shallot (may sub white part of green onions)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄3 cups orange juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse asparagus well, trim bottoms an stand upright in a steamer with water to cover 1/2 inch of the stalks.
- Steam until crisp-tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Drain and keep warm.
- In the meanwhile, melt 1T of butter in a wide frying pan over medium heat. Add shallots/onion and cook, stirring until soft.
- Add mustard and juice. Bring to a boil over high heat and reduce to 1/3 cup.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in remaining.
- Place asparagus on a serving platter and top with the sauce.