Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a great side dish with grilled meats or Asian entrees. It goes especially well with grilled flank steak and rice. From Gourmet, April 1995.
- 2 lbs asparagus, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine or 1 tablespoon scotch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- cooked rice, accompaniment
- In a steamer set over boiling water, steam asparagus, covered, until just crisp-tender, about 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer asparagus to a colander and rinse under cold water to stop cooking. Drain asparagus well.
- In a 1-cup measure, stir together cornstarch and water until dissolved and stir in soy sauce, Sherry or Scotch, sugar, salt and sesame oil.
- Heat a wok or large heavy skillet over high heat until hot and add vegetable oil. Heat vegetable oil until hot but not smoking and stir-fry gingerroot and garlic 30 seconds. Add asparagus and stir-fry 30 seconds. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to asparagus. Bring liquid to a boil, stirring, and stir-fry mixture until asparagus is well coated. Sprinkle asparagus with sesame seeds and toss.
- Serves 4 as an entree with rice or 6 as a side dish.
Delicious change for asparagus but I used a bit less asparagus than called for and subbed white wine for the sherry. We served this with Soy Glazed Salmon Kabobs for a delicious and almost no work dinner! Thanks for sharing this keeper. Made for ZWT6.
Maked this for ZWT4 for team Los Jefes de la Cocina. I followed the recipe as is and served it with Jasmine Rice and the flank steak (as suggested). I loved it and will definitely make it again!
I loved this recipe! I made it exactly as written and wouldn't change a thing. The garlic and ginger may be a little intense for little ones, though. Made for ZWT4. Thanks for a quick and easy side dish lazyme!