Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A recipe from Ricardo. This is so good. I steamed the marinated salmon in my steamer machine. But you can do it any way you want.
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 skinless salmon steaks, about 170 g (6 oz)
- 2 green onions, cut into 7 . 5-cm (3-inch)
- salt and pepper
- Marinade: In a bowl or sealable bag, combine all the ingredients. â€¨.
- Salmon: Add the salmon to the marinade and coat well. Refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- Drain the steaks and pour the marinade into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes or until the sauce is syrupy. Set aside.
- Place the steaks, side by side, in a steamer (bamboo or a pan with holes on the bottom), placed on top of a pan of boiling water. Season with salt and pepper. Top the steaks with the green onions. Steam for about 8 minutes or until the desired doneness.
- Spoon the sauce over the salmon and serve with jasmine rice and green vegetables.
The DM and the DS thoroughly enjoyed this tonight, though I found it a little to sweet and it was cooked to perfection in the 8 minutes in the bottom tier of my 3 tier electric steamer. The big issue I had was reducing the marinade to a syrup after 10 minutes of simmering (anything above that and there would have been a volcanic explosion) so transferred to a frypan to get the sauce over a larger surfact area but after 5 minutes still at sauce consistency so left it at that and served over the salmon and was wishing I had served plain rice instead of fried rice as it would have been nice to go over the rice and would also like to add a small chilli finely chopped to give a little zing and take away some of the sweetness that I was not so keen on. An excellent quick healthy mid week meal, thank you Boomette, made for Aussie/Kiwi Recipe Swap #62 March 2012.
Made this for supper tonight. The salmon tasted very good after marinading in this marinade. I spread the cooked down marinade sauce on the salmon and at first I didn't care for it much because of the strong ginger taste but the more I ate the better it tasted. Next time I make this I'll use less ginger. Made for Please Review My Recipe 2012.