1/2 Photos of Steamed Artichokes With Garlicky Dipping Sauce
Mama Sass's Note:
I grew up eating artichokes dipped in a garlic butter, which is delicious, but i wanted something i wouldn't feel so guilty about eating. So, i came up with this recipe as a test, and it was really good. I use non-fat Greek yogurt, it is a little thicker, but you could use regular non-fat/low-fat yogurt, or even sour cream. I make things for 2, so if you want more, just make twice as much dipping sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 artichokes
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- water, for steaming (or chicken or veggie broth)
- 1Trim bottom stalk of artichokes, leaving about 1 inch. Cut off the first couple of inches of the top of the artichoke. If your artichoke is dangerously spikey, or you are serving these to kids/company, you may want to trim the tips of all the remaining leaves with scissors. Rinse the artichokes well, under running water.
- 2Put about 2 inches of water in the bottom of a big pot, and place the artichokes top down. Throw in the bay leaf and crushed garlic clove. Cover and bring to a boil, then lower heat so the liquid is just simmering. Steam like this for about 30-45 minutes.
- 3Make the dip by putting the minced garlic, margarine, and lemon juice in a microwave safe bowl and heating for 30 seconds. Add the dill, yogurt, and salt & pepper. If you want your sauce thick like this, then you are done. I like my dip a little runnier, so i add a little milk until it is the consistancy that i want. Either way, cover and put in the fridge until the artichokes are ready.
- 4Let artichokes cool off for about 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steamed Artichokes With Garlicky Dipping Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 153.4
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 1.2 mg
- Sodium 235.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 8.1 g