Recipe by echo echo
My favorite way to eat artichokes is the simplest. I gave the recipe for two, because I like to sit and eat one with my sister. However, adjust the recipe for however many you want to make. I use pepper but not salt to season, but of course you can use salt if you prefer a saltier taste.
- 2 fresh artichokes
- 1 large lemon
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut off stem end as well as 1 inch of the top, remove outermost leaves of artichokes and snip off pointy tips of remaining leaves. Steam, covered in a rack over boiling water about 1/2 hour until base of an artichoke is soft enough to pierce easily (you'll probably have to replace the water over time).
- Microwave lemon 15 seconds (releases more juice) and then juice lemon--you should end up with 3-4 Tbs juice. Discard peel.
- In a small skillet, sauté garlic and thyme in oil about 1 minute. With a fork or tiny whisk, whisk in lemon juice, butter and pepper and remove from heat.
- To eat, dip individual leaves in lemon-butter and scrape the "meat" of the artichokes into your mouth with your front teeth. Yum!