Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Because these steaks steam in aluminum pouches, you can buy less expensive cuts. Grill using a low fire and give the steaks plenty of time to tenderize and make their own succulent sauce. From Camping Life magazine.
- 4 lean boneless beef chuck steaks
- cooking spray
- 4 slices onions, thick slices from a large onion
- 1 sweet red peppers or 1 sweet green pepper, diced
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- Lay out four squares of foil large enough to wrap the steaks.
- Spray a spot on the foil and place a slice of onion on each.
- Top with a steak, add salt and pepper, and sprinkle with diced pepper.
- Spoon vinegrette over steaks, seal foil and place over low-medium grill.
- Grill for 45 minutes, turning every 10 minutes, then test for doneness.
- If steaks aren't yet tender give them another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve with foil-baked potatoes and coleslaw.
I have never steamed steaks before so I was skeptical about trying this out on the crew. I bought a huge hunk of meat, but it up and made these to from rare to medium. Everyone absoluted loved them. It was nice and tender and the flavour was sooo great.
This is a good camping recipe! Prepare everything in foil pouches before you go. The only change I made was to put a slice of onion and sauce on each side of meat and then add diced peppers and sauce before sealing. You can also put them in the refrigerator in the morning and grill that night!