Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1⁄2 cup yellow moong dal (soaked in water for one hour, and drained)
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped (Indian or Thai variety)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coconut, fresh shredded (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (to taste)
- Place a wide skillet on stove-top. Add and heat oil.
- Add and toast cumin and mustard seeds.
- When seeds start to pop, add the onions and chillies. Saute to brown.
- Add the yellow moong dal. Sprinkle two tablespoons of water. Mix.
- Cover with a lid and cook the dal to tender soft on medium-low heat.
- Dal should be intact, but soft to bite. (Takes about 10-15 minutes.).
- At that stage, add the turmeric, salt, nutmeg and coconut. Mix.
- Add the spinach. Saute on high heat until the leaves collapse.
- Sprinkle the lime juice. Serve hot with rice or chapati.