Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a Pittsburgh Favorite.
- 2 (20 ounce) packages frozen mashed potatoes (Steam n' Mash Russet Potatoes, made according to package directions)
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, shredded
- 0.5 (8 ounce) box lasagna noodles, cooked al dente
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 4 vidalia onions, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Make the Steam n' Mash Russet Potatoes according to package directions.
- Sauté the onions in the butter until cooked through, but not browned. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spray a 9" x 13" casserole with non-stick pan spray.
- Place a layer of noodles on the bottom of the casserole; spread about ½ of the potatoes on top of the noodles.
- Sprinkle with ½ of the grated cheese and top with 1/3 of the onion / butter mixture.
- Repeat this step; ending with the final third of the onion / butter mixture. Cover with foil and bake the casserole for 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Just didn't wow me.
YUMMY! This casserole was GREAT! It reminded me of one of my best friend's growing up - her family would get together and make pierogis (I always got stuck rolling out the dough). This had the same flavor with none of the hassel. I followed as directed except I halved the recipe, added some green onion to the onion mixture (it had to be used), and put some cheese on top to bake. Made for Photo Tag.
this was amazing! a friend told me to try au grautin potatoes next time.