1/4 Photos of Steaks with Merlot Sauce
1 hr 30 mins
Elegant sauce for a special steak. Great for company or a romantic dinner for two. You can even make part of the sauce in advance. Great with bread for sopping and a nice salad. And wine, of course! Adapted from Bon Appetit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (750 ml) bottle merlot (of drinking quality)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 thick-cut steaks (filet mignon, or whatever cut you prefer)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped shallot (or mix about 1 - 2 T minced garlic and a small chopped yellow onion)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (additional)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1Boil wine along with chicken and beef broths in heavy large saucepan over high heat until it's reduced to 2 cups (~45min to 1 hour).
- 2NOTE: You can be prepare it to this point in advance, and cover and refrigerate.
- 3Mix butter and flour in small bowl.
- 4Heat 1 T olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 5Season steaks with salt and pepper and sauté to your taste (4 minutes per side would result in medium rare steaks).
- 6Remove steaks to a plate and keep warm (we put it in our microwave to keep the heat from dissipating) To your skillet, add shallots, garlic and thyme and stir 30 seconds.
- 7Add 1 1/2 c reduced wine mixture to skillet (reserve remainder for another use).
- 8Bring mixture to a boil and scrape up brown bits.
- 9Whisk in butter mixture until the sauce is smooth.
- 10Boil sauce until thick enough to coat spoon, about 2 minutes.
- 11Drizzle sauce over steaks, and serve remainder in a gravy boat.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steaks with Merlot Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (616 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 305.0
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 16.3 mg
- Sodium 908.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 7.6 g