Recipe by Irmgard
This recipe from Canadian chef Michael Smith is wonderful made with fresh vegetables from the garden or farmer's market. The leftovers reheat well, too!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into long thin sticks
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, tips removed
- 1⁄2 lb yellow beans, tips removed
- 1 large white onion, sliced thinly
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, minced
- ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- While it heats, find a tight-fitting lid for it.
- Splash in a puddle of the oil, then the butter in the middle of the oil.
- Swirl gently.
- When the butter just begins to brown, add the vegetables.
- Saute for a few minutes until they brighten and start to brown here and there.
- Season with the thyme, salt and pepper, then toss evenly.
- Add a splash of water and immediately cover with a tight-fitting lid.
- Braise for a few minutes until the vegetables finish cooking through.