Recipe by jeconway1
5-Ingredient Fix Contest Entry. This recipe is my take on my steakhouse favorites which include steak, mushrooms, and wonderful Hash Browned potatoes cooked and presented as a wonderful one dish meal!
- 2 lbs top sirloin steaks, 1/2 - 3/4 inches thick cut into 4 pieces
- 2 (8 ounce) packagessliced button mushrooms
- 8 tablespoons butter, Divided
- 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt, Divided
Directions See How It's Made
- For the steak: If using a grill, preheat to very hot. If using a skillet, spray with cooking spray and preheat to very hot, but not smoking.
- Melt 4 Tbs. of the Butter in an 8 “ skillet over medium high heat . Sprinkle with ½ teaspoons seasoned salt.
- Add mushrooms and sauté for about 5 minutes until mushrooms are tender. Remove from skillet with a slotted spoon, cover with aluminum foil and set aside to keep warm.
- Add remaining butter to the skillet used to cook the mushrooms. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoons of the seasoned salt.
- Blot the Hash Browns with paper towels pressing out most of the liquid. Place hash browns in the skillet and press down firmly with your fingers or a wooden spoon until compressed into the skillet. Sprinkle with another ½ teaspoons seasoned salt. Cover the skillet and cook for 15 minutes over high to medium high heat until very golden brown on the bottom. Do not stir or turn with a spatula while potatoes are cooking. After 15 minutes, lift up edge of the potatoes to see if they are crispy. If not, cook another 5 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, blot steaks with a paper towel, then rub remaining seasoned salt on both sides. Cook on very hot grill or in hot skillet for 2 ½ minutes per side for medium rare. Turn only once so steak gets a nice sear. Remove steak from heat and let rest 5-7 minutes before slicing into ½” wide slices.
- To assemble: Invert a serving platter over the potatoes and flip so the Hash Browns are in a circle in the middle of the platter. Pour mushrooms on top and in the center of the potatoes. Arrange steak slices around the outside of the potatoes.