We saw this on Rachael Ray's 30 Minute meals. My DH got a sparkle in his eye and a big grin on his face. He even helped me make it last night for dinner. Now if your expecting a Steak and Baked Potato you are sadly mistaken. Its a great dish. Simple and tasty. A comfort dish for a cold winter night. Season according to taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices good quality bacon or 4 slices pepper bacon, chopped
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- 1/2 lb button mushroom, quartered
- 1 onion, chopped
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock, divided
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 lb blue cheese, crumbled (recommended ( Maytag)
- 3 -4 tablespoons chives
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1Place potatoes in a pot; cover with cold water and bring up to a boil. Season water with salt and boil potatoes until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Heads up: save a ladle of starchy cooking water just before draining.
- 2Heat a skillet with high sides over medium high heat.
- 3Add extra-virgin olive oil, half a turn of the pan and add the bacon.
- 4Crisp bacon and remove to paper towel lined plate.
- 5Add sirloin to the pan and caramelize the meat, 4 to 5 minutes.
- 6Add in the mushrooms and onions and cook until tender, 6 to 7 minutes more; season with salt and pepper.
- 7While meat cooks heat a small sauce pot over medium heat and melt butter; whisk the flour into butter; cook 2 minutes; whisk beef stock into flour; add Worcestershire sauce.
- 8Season sauce with salt and pepper, to taste.
- 9Thicken 6 to 7 minutes.
- 10Pour gravy over meat.
- 11Turn on broiler.
- 12Temper egg yolk by beating it with the starchy potato cooking water.
- 13Place drained potatoes back into the pot you cooked them in to dry them out a little.
- 14Mash potatoes with egg yolk and sour cream then fold in crumbled blue cheese and chives.
- 15Season the potatoes with salt and pepper and spread across the top of the meat in an even layer.
- 16Garnish the potatoes with paprika.
- 17Place under broiler to crisp and brown the potatoes, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 18Serve immediately right from the hot skillet.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steakhouse Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (486 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1120.2
- Calories from Fat 645
- Total Fat 71.7 g
- Saturated Fat 33.2 g
- Cholesterol 276.3 mg
- Sodium 1541.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 67.3 g