Recipe by gailanng
My husband's answer to two of his favorite things: steak & salad.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
Great salad! We love blue cheese and it is absolutely delicious with the grilled steak. We used a "flat iron" steak as it is just enough for two and very lean. Now we can have a restaurant salad at home! Thanks for the post! Made for the AUS/NZ Make My Recipe Tag, November, 2011.
For the steak
- 1 (1 lb) sirloin steak
- 4 -5 romaine lettuce leaves
- 3⁄4 lb chopped romaine lettuce
- 5 ounces blue cheese vinaigrette dressing (recipe below)
- 4 slices tomatoes
- 4 slices red onion rings
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled blue cheese
For the Blue Cheese Vinaigrette
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3⁄4 cup crumbled blue cheese (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (like Tabasco)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare Blue Cheese Vinaigrette:.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy small skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons minced garlic and saute until golden, about 1 minute. Transfer garlic mixture to blender. Add blue cheese, white wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon water, sugar, hot pepper sauce, salt, pepper and remaining olive oil; blend well. Transfer vinaigrette to bowl. Mix in chopped basil. Vinaigrette can be prepared two days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
- For the steak:.
- Season steak with salt and pepper. Grill steak to desired doneness. Cook to an internal temperature of 145 degrees.
- To assemble the salad:.
- Peel off outer leaves and place on bottom of large oval plate or platter. Slice romaine lengthwise and chop into 1 1/2-inch squares. Place over the top red onions slices then tomatoes.
- Slice steak into 1/4 inch strips and place over salad. Top with crumbled blue cheese then vinaigrette dressing.