Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
My husband's answer to two of his favorite things: steak & salad.
Make and share this Steakhouse Salad recipe from Food.com.
For the steak
- 1 (1 lb) sirloin steak
- 4 -5 romaine lettuce leaves
- 3⁄4 lb chopped romaine lettuce
- 5 ounces blue cheese vinaigrette dressing (recipe below)
- 4 slices tomatoes
- 4 slices red onion rings
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled blue cheese
For the Blue Cheese Vinaigrette
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3⁄4 cup crumbled blue cheese (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (like Tabasco)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- To prepare Blue Cheese Vinaigrette:.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy small skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons minced garlic and saute until golden, about 1 minute. Transfer garlic mixture to blender. Add blue cheese, white wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon water, sugar, hot pepper sauce, salt, pepper and remaining olive oil; blend well. Transfer vinaigrette to bowl. Mix in chopped basil. Vinaigrette can be prepared two days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
- For the steak:.
- Season steak with salt and pepper. Grill steak to desired doneness. Cook to an internal temperature of 145 degrees.
- To assemble the salad:.
- Peel off outer leaves and place on bottom of large oval plate or platter. Slice romaine lengthwise and chop into 1 1/2-inch squares. Place over the top red onions slices then tomatoes.
- Slice steak into 1/4 inch strips and place over salad. Top with crumbled blue cheese then vinaigrette dressing.
Great salad! We love blue cheese and it is absolutely delicious with the grilled steak. We used a "flat iron" steak as it is just enough for two and very lean. Now we can have a restaurant salad at home! Thanks for the post! Made for the AUS/NZ Make My Recipe Tag, November, 2011.
This turned out great! I picked up Feta crumbles by mistake and so I ended up using that instead of blue cheese and it reminded me of a greek salad. I love blue cheese so I will use that next time.. but it's terrific that way as well. I used McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning on the steak before grilling, used apple cider vinegar instead of white wine vinegar, and added cucumber to the salad as well. I'll definitely make this one again!