Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Cheesy goodness... true comfort food. I updated this recipe based on the review. The cheese sauce is cheesier and there is more of it. This time when I made it, I used 1/2 cup of gorgonzola, but the taste was a little too sharp for my liking. I also added in some garlic powder. Please let me know how the current measurements work out.
- 3 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 3 slices applewood smoked bacon
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 10 slices white American cheese, chopped
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup gorgonzola, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1⁄2 cup crushed Ritz cracker
- 1⁄8 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- In medium saucepan over high heat, bring two quarts of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add macaroni and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until desired doneness. Strain, cool and rinse. Set aside.
- Cook bacon until crispy. Drain, cool and coarsely chop. Set aside.
- In a 2 quart saucepan, heat half and half and heavy cream on medium heat just before a simmer, stirring continuously.
- Add chopped American cheese until melted, followed by the cheddar. Melt cheese completely in the sauce. Stir in gorgonzola cheese and salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and toss cooled macaroni into the cheese sauce to coat along with bacon.
- Pour macaroni and cheese mixture into oven-safe casserole dish. Top with crushed Ritz crackers and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven at 400 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown and serve.
- You can add chives as a garnish.
We enjoyed this with the addition of a block of cream cheese and taking out the bacon. Yum! Will definitely make again. The topping added an extra flavor factor!
We liked this and I will make it again but with some changes. The bacon got a little soggy and there was no where near enough cheese sauce. Next time I will either double the sauce or use less macaroni. I used velveeta instead of the american cheese, blue cheese as I did not have gorgonzola. I also will reduce the oven temp and time as, at least for my (Viking) oven which is usually pretty exact was too high and too long. Liked this tho and have a ton of macaroni & cheese recipe's but this one is a little different!