Prep 3 hrs
Cook 35 mins
Make and share this Steakhouse Black Bread - Pumpernickel recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄3 cups strong brewed coffee, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup dark molasses
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Combine molasses, cooled coffee, & yeast; set aside to proof.
- Combine vegetable oil & brown sugar.
- Combine rest of dry ingredients.
- Add proofed yeast mixture to the oil & sugar.
- Add 1/3 of dry ingredients to wet mixture, then 1/3, and last 1/3.
- Place in large oiled bowl, cover with damp towel & set in warm place to rise until double in size.
- (Bread making tip - patience is required - do let the bread go through its full rise each time!).
- Grease vessel you plan to use for baking (bread pan; 9 x 13 pan, etc).
- Punch down, and form in to shape needed for vessel you plan to bake in ('regular loaf', 12 balls for dinner rolls in 9 x 13 pan, longer for baguette shape, etc).
- Preheat oven to 357* F.
- Let rise until double in size, again.
- Bake in preheated oven - 20 minutes for rolls or 35 minutes for a loaf.
- Bread is done when internal temperature reaches 195 - 200* F.
In my next life, I shall be asked to bake bread in a small village in Germany strategically situated with wonderful views of the Rhine. In this life, I shall simply reminisce.
Such a wonderfully flavorful, moist bread. I shared the loaf with my sister who is already asking me to make another loaf. It slices beautifully, is delicious on it's own, and will hold up to any sandwich you want to make of it. Thank you for sharing this one - it will be a staple here.
This is a really good recipe, excellent crust, fabulous flavor. We've been after a black bread for a long time and this is a huge success. We needed to use a little extra flour as it was very humid today. The recipe as written rather over-ran our breadmaker and would suggest a half recipe for that appliance. Highly recommend.