Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From "Everyday Food" episode "Everyday Elegance."
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled (about 3)
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 large garlic clove, minced fine
- 5 ounces goat cheese, softened
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 4 blade steaks (also called flatiron steaks)
- black pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Slice potatoes 1/8" thick. Put slices in a pot with cream, garlic and goat cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook 12-15 minutes until potatoes are very tender when poked with the tip of a knife. Transfer to a buttered 8" square baking dish. Bake at 375 for 20-25 min until golden brown.
- Season both sides of steaks with salt and coarsely ground pepper. Place in a hot, dry skillet and cook 4-7 minutes on medium-high heat. Turn and finish cooking the other side.
- Deglaze pan with wine, scraping up all the brown bits. Simmer until reduced and syrupy. Add capers and mustard, stirring in well.
- Pour sauce over steaks and serve with gratin on the side.