Recipe by jwinegar82
This recipe is incredibly simple and delicious. I originally got this recipe from a Martha Stewart cookbook, but added a few things. It's a favorite in our home! We love to serve it with mashed potatoes and a nice glass of red wine.
- 2 (1 lb) steak (your favorite kind)
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil (enough to coat the pan)
- 4 garlic cloves (crush with the side of a knife to release flavor)
- kosher salt
- ground savory
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef stock or 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 lb baby portabella mushrooms
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub both sides of the steak with salt, pepper, and savory. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add garlic cloves and steak. Cook steak 5 minutes on each side for medium rare. Transfer steaks to a cutting board. If you would like them cooked through a bit longer, cover with aluminum foil, they will continue to cook. Add mushrooms to the pan, leave heat on medium, and sauté until tender. Transfer mushrooms to a small bowl.
- Discard garlic from the pan. Add red wine and stock to the pan. Reduce over high heat, scraping bottom with a wooden spoon, until 1/2 cup of sauce remains. Combine with mushrooms.
- serve beef with mushroom sauce on the side.