Recipe by iqspam
Sear steak to a perfect medium rare and make a pan port wine and balsamic vinegar reduction sauce to finish!
- 1 lb New York strip steak (trimmed)
- 1 tablespoon fat (take from steak trimmings for more flavour)
- 1⁄2 cup ruby port
- 1 tablespoon red shallot, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat bits of trimmed fat in heavy pan over medium high heat.
- Add shallot and sautee.
- Remove shallot from pan and set aside.
- Heat pan over high heat until very hot.
- Sear steak until dark brown on both sides. This should be enough for medium rare, but if not, or a higher temperature is desired, put in oven at 400 degrees until the desired internal temperature is reached.
- Remove steak from pan.
- Add half of the port to the pan, and bring to a boil. Let boil for 5 seconds, and then use a spatula to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add sauteed shallot, the rest of the port and the balsamic vinegar to the pan, and reduce sauce to desired consistency.
- Slice steak and serve with reduction sauce.
- Note: Recommend cast iron pan for this recipe as it maintains heat even when the steak is added, making for a good quick sear.