Sear steak to a perfect medium rare and make a pan port wine and balsamic vinegar reduction sauce to finish!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb New York strip steak (trimmed)
- 1 tablespoon fat (take from steak trimmings for more flavour)
- 1/2 cup ruby port
- 1 tablespoon red shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1Heat bits of trimmed fat in heavy pan over medium high heat.
- 2Add shallot and sautee.
- 3Remove shallot from pan and set aside.
- 4Heat pan over high heat until very hot.
- 5Sear steak until dark brown on both sides. This should be enough for medium rare, but if not, or a higher temperature is desired, put in oven at 400 degrees until the desired internal temperature is reached.
- 6Remove steak from pan.
- 7Add half of the port to the pan, and bring to a boil. Let boil for 5 seconds, and then use a spatula to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- 8Add sauteed shallot, the rest of the port and the balsamic vinegar to the pan, and reduce sauce to desired consistency.
- 9Slice steak and serve with reduction sauce.
- 10Note: Recommend cast iron pan for this recipe as it maintains heat even when the steak is added, making for a good quick sear.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steak With Port Wine Balsamic Reduction
Serving Size: 1 (164 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 350.4
- Calories from Fat 186
- Total Fat 20.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 95.3 mg
- Sodium 65.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 23.5 g