Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Source: Bon Appétit (October 2008)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, plus parmesan cheese shavings
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 12 ounces rib eye steaks
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon packed dark brown sugar
- 4 cups lightly packed arugula
- 2 large lemon wedges
- Mix grated cheese and butter in small bowl.
- Season generously with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Sprinkle steak generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add steak; cook to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Transfer to plate.
- Add vinegar, shallots, and sugar to skillet; boil until reduced to glaze, stirring constantly, about 1 minute.
- Divide arugula and Parmesan shavings between 2 plates.
- Squeeze lemon over.
- Slice steak; place atop arugula.
- Top steak with Parmesan butter.
- Drizzle lightly with glaze.
Wow, this was a lovely way to cook our steak tonight. We used rump steak and our own home grown rocket (arugula). I added in extra sugar as the balsamic was too tart for my liking-next time I would use maybe a of cup balsamic and reduce it down as that makes for a nicer sweet finish that doesn't need any sugar. I made the mistake of chilling the butter and it really didn't melt over the steak-leave it at room temperature and it would be perfect!
Ohhhh this is a keeper! I loved everything about this steak salad. The parmesan butter flavoring atop the steak was a special treat. The glaze was packed with flavor and made for a great dressing. I did use romaine lettuce instead of arugula. I will definitely be making this again! ~Made for May Aussie/NZ Swap~
This is one of my favorite steak salads to prepare. I was just about to post it myself and found it on here already! I always double parmesan butter, cook my rib eye for 4 minutes a side for medium rare, and usually add quite a bit extra balsamic. Usually I substitute honey for the brown sugar as well. This is just delicious!! A must try! Thanks rose's mom