Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Dad's Favorite! Steaks are so tender and flavorful.
- 6 cubed steaks (or round steak, cut in pieces)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄8 cup oil
- 4 onions, sliced
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 1 cup water
- Heat oil in dutch oven.
- Mix flour, salt, and pepper.
- Dredge steaks in flour mixture.
- Brown in oil.
- Sprinkle dry onion soup over steaks.
- Spread sliced onions over top.
- Sprinkle remaining flour over onions.
- Pour water over and cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, noodles, or rice.
This recipe was quick and easy plus it was made with items you have on hand. This recipe is great for the nights you don't want to put the time into a meal yet want that home cooked taste. This fits the ticket. Thanks for posting.
I used venison steaks, turned out good. Made a lot of gravy so when meat was gone I froze the remaining gravy and used it as a starter for white gravy everytime I needed gravy for chicken strips, chicken fried steak or mashed potatoes. It was very good. I thought 4 onions was a lot so I used 1 1/2 large onions. Still very oniony. And too much pepper for my taste. Will make it again, just for the gravy but will use fewer onions and about half the pepper. But still a good recipe.
Great and Easy. I added a little extra water to cover all of the meat and it just made extra gravy. We loved it.