Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Caramelized onions splashed with balsamic vinegar makes a full-flavored, lower-calorie alternative to a high-fat sauce.
- In a medium skillet melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Add onions and garlic.
- Cook, covered, for 13-15 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Add brown sugar and salt.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat 4-5 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring constantly.
- Meanwhile, cut meat into 4 serving-size pieces.
- Sprinkle pepper on both sides of each meat piece.
- Place on the unheated rack of a boiler pan.
- Broil 3 inches from the heat to desired doneness, turning once.
- (Allow 10-12 minutes for medium rare.) Stir vinegar into onions.
- Spoon onion mixture over steak.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
Super delicious. The flavor of the vinegar, garlic and onions really compliment the steak. Thanks!!
Great recipe! Easy to halve for one person (i am allergic to onions and hubby loves them) My husband went nuts over these onions and started eating them out of the skillet! He had them on his steak, his potatoes, his garlic bread... everything he could! I will definitely make this all the time. I used sweet onions so I did reduce the brown sugar.
I love onions, but these were just a little bit too sweet for me. Next time I use this, I'll completely omit the brown sugar. Thanks for sharing.