1/1 Photo of Steak & Vegetable Soup
Adapted from 'Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes'. Basically made the recipe larger, heartier, and less salty. Mushrooms and browned beef give plenty of taste, so removed half the canned beef broth from the original recipe. Have been making this in variations for over 10 years. Easy and tasty.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs steak, cheap lowfat cut, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 lb mushroom, coarsely sliced
- 1/2 cup baby carrots, sliced
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/3 cup barley
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 cups water, for barley cooking
- 4 cups water, for soup addition
- 1Heat skillet to medium high.
- 2Combine flour and chipotle in plastic bag, add beef cubes, and shake to coat.
- 3Add oil to skillet, and brown the beef. Usually I do 1/3rd at a time. Dump browned meat into crock pot.
- 4Lower skillet heat to medium, and saute the carrots and onion.
- 5When onion goes clear, add the mushrooms, and saute until mushrooms look mostly cooked. Dump everything into crockpot, liquid and all.
- 6Add barley and 2 cups of water to the skillet. Bring to a boil, cover, and set to low temperature to simmer. Set timer for 25 minutes for when it will be mostly done.
- 7Add the frozen mixed vegetables, oregano, and beef broth to the crockpot.
- 8When barley time is up, drain and rinse in a colander, and add to crockpot.
- 9Add 4 cups of water to crockpot, or however much you would like.
- 10Cook in crock pot for 6 hours, on Low temperature.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steak & Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (447 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 271.8
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 67.1 mg
- Sodium 272.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 30.2 g