Recipe by NurseJenni
5 Ingredient Fix Contest Entry. These are fantastic appetizers, or you could make the portions larger for an entree. My Mom never wasted anything. We commonly revisited leftover mashed potatoes in the form of potato cakes or browned in fat. This dish is inspired by those browned mashed potatoes, with those tasty bits of goodness in the potatoes, just a little more fancy! Use a well seasoned cast iron skillet if you have one.
- 2 New York strip steaks
- 1 (24 ounce) package Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes
- 2 -3 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbles
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat heavy bottom skillet over medium to medium high heat.
- In a large bowl, mix prepared horseradish with Simply Potatoes Mashed Potatoes.
- Meanwhile, place balsamic vinegar in small sauce pot, over medium heat, reduce balsamic vinegar to 1/4 cup volume, stirring occasionally.
- Once a splash of water sizzles in skillet, add steaks. Do not over crowd the pan. Cook steak to desired temperature. Remove steaks to allow to rest on cutting board. Do not drain fat. Add simply potatoes to the skillet the steak was cooked inches Gently press mashed potatoes into skillet with spatula and allow to brown, turning over occasionally and pressing again into pan. Once the potatoes have gotten crusty in spots, place onto plates in either appetizer portions or dinner portions. Slice steaks across the grain, place steak slices on top of potatoes. Top with crumbled feta. Drizzle with reduced balsamic vinegar.