Top Review by Lexie
This was marvelous and so easy! I can't believe that no one has reviewed this! I used skirt steak because that's what I had on hand, marinated it in some Italian dressing for a couple of hours and threw it on the grill. Didn't have any fresh tomatoes, so used a can with basil and onions, then followed the recipe as written. This has become an instant favorite in our house!
- 6 beef tenderloin steaks or 3 boneless beef top loin steaks, cut 1-inch thick
- 1 lb penne or 1 lb mostaccioli pasta, uncooked
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup romano cheese or 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves large garlic, crushed
- 6 cups plum tomatoes, chopped (approximately 3 3/4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low.
- Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place beef steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals.
- Grill steaks, uncovered, 13 to 15 minutes (15 to 18 minutes for top loin steaks) for medium rare to medium doneness, turning once. Season with salt and pepper.
- Trim fat from steaks.
- (Cut top loin steaks crosswise in half.) Combine tomato sauce, basil, cheese and pasta; toss to coat. Serve steaks with pasta.