Recipe by gailanng
Recipe from Kerry Simon's book: All-New Recipes from the Eat Like a Man Cookbook. He adds: Don't let the long list of ingredients throw you -- this is simple street food and there's very little actual "cooking" involved. TIP FROM MR. SIMON: Tip: The salsa, crema, and guacamole can be prepared up to 2 hours ahead of time, wrapped tightly, and refrigerated. When wrapping the guacamole, place a layer of plastic film directly on the surface (and/or keep avocado pits in the bowl) to avoid discoloration from oxidation.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs skirt steaks, cut against the grain into strips (a little smaller than your little finger)
- 20 (4 inch) flour tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 large head chinese napa cabbage, cleaned cut into thin strips and tossed with the juice of the 2 limes
For spice mix
- 2 teaspoons dried chipotle powder or 2 teaspoons dried ancho chile powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt (use less if using table salt) or 3 teaspoons coarse salt (use less if using table salt)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (to taste)
- 1 red onion, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 2 ounces canola oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 3 fresh limes, juiced
- 4 limes, juiced
- 6 ripe Hass avocadoes, halved pitted flesh scooped out and placed in large bowl with the juice of the 4 limes
- 4 plum tomatoes, small diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 red onion, minced (about 1 cup)
- 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt or 2 teaspoons coarse salt
For lime crema
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 fresh limes, juiced
Directions See How It's Made
- To make tacos: Combine spice-mixture ingredients and toss with steak to coat. Set aside. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Warm tortillas on cookie sheet in oven. Heat two large saute pans to medium-high. When pans are hot, add oil to each pan followed by 1/2 the seasoned meat. Spread meat out evenly and cook without turning while you lay out warm tortillas on a clean work area to get ready for assembly. Cook meat for approximately 3 minutes, turn, and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally to achieve even coloring. After 3 minutes, turn off heat and allow meat to sit in the pan, becoming just cool enough for you to handle.
- To make salsa: Rub jalapeno, onion, and tomatoes lightly with oil and roast in large saute pan on medium-high, turning frequently until lightly charred all over. Set aside to cool. When cooled, roughly chop and place in a food processor with salt, pulsing until almost smooth but still just a little chunky. Transfer to bowl, add cilantro and lime juice, cover, and refrigerate. (For a milder salsa, use only half the jalapeno.).
- To make guacamole: Lightly crush avocados with fork until almost smooth but still a little chunky. Evenly mix in tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, and salt; cover and refrigerate.
- To make lime crema: Whisk 2 cups sour cream together with the juice of 2 fresh limes.
- To serve: Spread 1/2 tablespoon guacamole on each warmed tortilla, followed by a large pinch of cabbage. Distribute meat evenly and fold tortillas up end to end. Serve immediately on a large platter with the salsa, crema, guacamole and a bag of your favorite tortilla chips.