Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Weber’s Big Book of Grilling; refrigeration time is 4-6 hours.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cracked black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs flank steaks, about 3/4 inches thick
- kosher salt
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese or 2 cups monterey jack cheese
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 cups prepared chunky salsa
- 1 cup sour cream
- To make the paste: in a bowl, whisk the paste ingredients together.
- Trim steak of surface fat; coat both sides of the steak with the paste.
- Place steak in a large zip-lock plastic bag; press the air out of the bag and seal tightly.
- Set the bag on a plate and refrigerate for 4-6 hours.
- Remove steak from the bag and let stand at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before grilling.
- Season with salt; grill over direct medium heat until the internal temperature reaches 145° for medium rare, 8-10 minutes, turning halfway through grilling time.
- Remove from the grill and let rest 3-5 minutes; cut across the grain into thin strips.
- Divide the tortillas and wrap in two foil packets; grill the packets over direct medium heat until warm, about 2 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time.
- Place the steak strips in the center of the tortillas; add the cheese, lettuce, and salsa, top with the sour cream.
- Fold up the sides and eat with your hands.