Tasty stir-fry. Adapted from Pillsbury's Stir Fries Cookbook. If NOT using low-sodium beef broth, omit salt.
- 2⁄3 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb beef flank steak or 1 lb boneless beef top sirloin steak, cut lengthwise itno 2-inch wide strips, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) package sliced mushrooms (2 cups)
- 4 roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- In medium bowl, soak porcini mushrooms in boiling water for 20 minutes.
- Drain, reserving 1/4 cup liquid.
- Set mushrooms aside.
- In jar, combine reserved mushroom liquid, broth, vinegar, and cornstarch; blend well.
- Set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoons butter in large heavy skillet or Wok over medium-high heat.
- Add beef strips, salt*if using* and pepper; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until beef is browned.
- Remove from skillet; cover to keep warm.
- In same skillet, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Add porcini and sliced mushrooms; saute for about 3 minutes.
- Shake broth mixture; then stir into the skillet; stir until smooth.
- Cook, stirring, until thickened. Watch carefully!
- Add beef and tomatoes; cook and stir to thoroughly heat.
- Sprinkle with parsley when served.
- Serve over rice, mashed potatoes or just in a pasta bowl.