1/2 Photos of Steak Skewers With Scallion Dipping Sauce
Don't be afraid of the fat content shown in the recipe....most of the fat from the meat drips off into the fire....you don't ingest it. It just keeps your meat from getting dry. You should try and have a strip of fat between each beef cube to keep the meat moist and juicy! From Bon Appetit. You will need 8 8" metal or soaked bamboo skewers. Overnight marinating time is not included in prep and cooking time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs tri-tip steak or 2 lbs cap sirloin steaks or 2 lbs rib eye steaks
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar or 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 6 garlic cloves
- 4 Thai red chili peppers or 4 Thai green chili, stemmed
- 2 stalks lemongrass, bottom third only, tough outer layers removed
- 1 1/2 inches fresh ginger, peeled
Scallion Dipping Sauce
- 15 scallions, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons Chinkiang vinegar (black)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1Puree all the marinade ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Trim the strip of fat from the meat. Cut the fat into 1/4" cubes. Cut the meat into 1" cubes. Place the fat and the meat in a large bowl. Add the marinade and toss to coat. Cover and chill overnight.
- 2Remove the fat and meat from the marinade, brushing off the excess. Thread onto the skewers, alternating the fat and the meat so that pieces are touching but not pressed tightly together. Leave at least 1" of space at the ens of the skewers for easy turning. Discard the marinade. Save the excess fat for the basting liquid.
- 3Scallion Dipping Sauce:.
- 4Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl just before you begin grilling. Stir occasionally.
- 5Basting Sauce:.
- 6Mince any reserved leftover fat. Transfer to a small saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until the fat is heated through, about 3 minutes. Add all the other ingredients and cook until just heated through; keep warm.
- 7Grilling Directions:.
- 8Build a medium fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to medium high.
- 9Grill the skewers, brushing with basting sauce and turning every 2 minutes, for 10 minutes.
- 10Stop basting and cook, turning every 2 minutes, until browned around the edges and cooked through, about 6 minutes more.
- 11Serve with scallion dipping sauce on the side.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steak Skewers With Scallion Dipping Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (271 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 371.8
- Calories from Fat 277
- Total Fat 30.8 g
- Saturated Fat 17.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3912.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 12.0 g
- Protein 7.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: