Steak and Shake was a franchise started in the Midwest. My father would take me there on special occasions. I loved their chili! This is a chili which would be ideal for children. It is very mild with a slight sweetness. I found this recipe on the internet @ I dunno4recipes. The recipe origionally called for 2 (15 ounce) cans of kidney beans drained, but I prefer the taste of chili beans better
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can Campbell's French onion soup
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cocoa
- 2 (15 ounce) cans ranch style beans or 2 (15 ounce) cansany brand chili beans
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup cola (not diet!)
- Brown ground beef and salt in oil-If there is a high fat content to the ground beef you can omit the oil.
- Put soup in blender, blend for 1 minute.
- Add all to crock pot.
- Drain beef before adding to pot.
- Let simmer on low for 6 hours or on high for 2 hours.