Recipe by lazyme
This is a great way to use up leftover beef. I've never been able to get the onions crispy, they turn out more like caramelized onions. But still very good. From Gourmet magazine.
Top Review by Catnip46
Wonderful tasting sandwich. Wasn't sure if I was going to like it but it was delicious. I fried the onions and mushrooms together in butter. I used 4 Steak-Ums for 1 sandwich and served on a hamburger bun. This one will be going into my Sandwich cookbook to make over and over.
- 1 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3⁄4 cup beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 lb steak, grilled, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1 loaf Italian bread, halved horizontally and each half buttered lightly, cut into 4 pieces, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet cook the onions in the butter and the oil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until they are crisp and golden and transfer them with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- In the fat remaining in the skillet cook the mushrooms and the garlic over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms begin to turn brown and transfer the mixture to a plate.
- Add the broth to the skillet and deglaze the skillet, scraping up the brown bits.
- Add the cream, the ketchup, the Worcestershire sauce, and the mustard and stir in the mushroom mixture and the steak slices.
- Divide the steak mixture among the bottom bread pieces, sprinkle it with some of the onions, and top the onions with the remaining bread pieces.