Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Another one of our family favorites (Thanks Mom!). Not sure where this recipe originated, maybe a Crock Pot Recipe Book.
- 2 lbs chuck steaks, 1 inch thick, cut in serving pieces (any inexpensive cut can be used)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes (I use crushed or stewed)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- Arrange meat in the bottom of Crock pot.
- Cover meat with dry soup mix, tomatoes, mushrooms, and tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle on spices, oil, and vinegar.
- Cook on Low 8-10 hours Serve on noodles or rice.
This is one of our favorites. We made it with venison cubed up and it was delicious.
I used thinner cut chuck steaks, and I put celery, onion halves, and carrots under the steak. I only had diced can tomatoes which worked great. I also used a garlic clove in the liquid. We served it over rice, and it was delicious.
I made this with 2 inch thick, grass fed beefallo. The meat from this particular steer has been tough. However, the Steak San Marlo recipe cooked it up nice and tender. The only changes I would make are to add at least 2 cans of mushrooms and a real generous addition of garlic - either powder or fresh crushed. We served with mashed potatoes but next time, I think egg noodles would be a better choice.