Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a super easy, easy-on-the-budget meal. My mother made this for years, and it was always a family favorite. Great if you are pressed for time, and it tastes even better if you make it the day before and refrigerate it overnight. Serve with rice or egg noodles.
- 907.18 g chuck steaks, 1 inch thick, cut into serving pieces
- 28.34 g envelope onion soup mix (we use Lipton)
- 793.78 g canpeeled Italian tomatoes
- 4.92 ml oregano
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 29.58 ml red wine vinegar
- garlic powder
- In a large skillet, arrange meat; cover with onion soup mix and tomatoes (cut tomatoes into pieces).
- Sprinkle with oregano, garlic powder, pepper, oil and vinegar.
- Bring to a simmer; cover and cook 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
I've made this for years and the family always enjoyed it. Generally I serve it with noodles to sop up the gravy. In addition I first brown the meat before simmering and I generally add chopped black olives the last few minutes of cooking.
I also found this recipe over 30 years ago..and we love it. I still have the original recipe and it is stained..The above reads exactly the same. I was so pleased to see it online and make a new copy. It was in Better Homes and Gardens..
So simple, easy and comforting! Will definately make over and over again!