Prep 25 mins
Cook 12 mins
Here's a great salad to enjoy perhaps outside in the summer with a tall, cold glass of iced tea or wine. It's a perfect "go to" meal because it's easy, economical, fun, and don't forget tasty! From BHG!
- 12 ounces flank steaks or 12 ounces boneless sirloin steaks, cut 1-inch thick
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 6 cups small romaine leaves
- 5 ounces jicama, peeled and cut into 2-inch sticks (1 cup)
- 1 medium mango, sliced
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1⁄3 cup packed fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- For cilantro oil, in a bowl combine cilantro, olive oil, garlic, and hot pepper sauce. Set aside.
- Season steak with salt and pepper. Place in a self-sealing plastic bag which has been set inside a shallow bowl. Set aside.
- Stir lime juice into cilantro oil. Pour half the juice mixture over meat. Seal bag. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours Cover and chill remaining lime-cilantro mixture for dressing.
- Drain meat. Discard marinade. Grill meat on rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 12 to 14 minutes for medium doneness (160°), turning once. Remove from grill. Thinly slice across grain.
- To serve, divide romaine leaves among 4 individual salad bowls. Top with steak slices, jicama, mango, and onion. In a bowl, combine reserved lime-cilantro mixture and honey. Drizzle over salad.
- * Jicama can be found in the produce dept. and it looks somewhat like a big, beige turnip. If you don't see, ask.
- Note: Times do not include marinating.