Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
Recipe is from Martha Stewart.
Black Bean Salsa
- 439.41 g can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 118.29 ml cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 14.79 ml fresh lime juice
- 0.59-1.23 ml cayenne
- coarse salt
- ground pepper
- 226.79 g strip steaks (1 inch thick)
- 2.46 ml dried oregano
- 14.78 ml olive oil
- 4 (40 inch) flour tortillas
- 354.88 ml monterey jack pepper cheese, grated
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 59.14 ml reduced-fat sour cream
- In medium bowl, combine black beans, cilantro, tomatoes, avocado, lime juice and cayenne; stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Rub steak with oregano; season with salt and pepper.
- In a 10-inch skillet, heat 1 t oil over high.
- Add steak to skillet, and cook, turning once, until browned and still rare, 2-3 minutes per side. (Steak will cook a little longer in the quesadillas during baking).
- Transfer steak to a cutting board; let rest 5 minutes before slicing 1/4 inch thick.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees with racks in upper and lower thirds.
- Brush one side of each tortilla with remaining 2 teaspoons oil.
- Place 1 tortilla, oiled side down, on each of two baking sheets.
- Dividing evenly, layer with half of the cheese, then onion and steak, ending with remaining cheese.
- Top with remaining tortillas, oiled side up.
- Press lightly to seal.
- Bake, turning over once (with wide spatula), until lightly browned and crispy, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a cutting board; cut each quesadilla into 6 triangles.
- Serve with black bean salsa and sour cream.
THis was great!! Used leftover prime rib. Mmmmm. Didn't have avocados, so left them out. Instead added some corn to the salsa.
I really shouldn't rate this with stars b/c I changed so much, but here it goes. I had some leftover roast beef that I needed to use, so I just used that instead of cooking a strip steak. I sauted the red onions in a little canola oil first so they didn't have as much bite. I used Why Didn't I Think of That Black Bean Salsa for the black bean salsa. But other than all that, I followed the recipe :) We all really enjoyed it, and I will make it again.
yummy and easy version of quesadilla's. It was fabulous.