Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A wonderful meal in a dish. Original recipe is from Rocco DiSpirito from the Food Network, but I have adapted it to my taste.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 (6 ounce) sirloin strip steaks
- salt and pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 potatoes, quartered
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and sliced lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat oil in a saute pan over medium heat.
- Season beef on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Saute beef until browned on both sides.
- Transfer steak to an oven baking dish.
- Combine all other ingredients in a bowl and pour over steaks.
- Bake, uncovered for about an hour or until beef is tender.
- Adjust seasonings, if necessary by adding more salt and pepper.
Marie, this is excellent. We really loved it. The spices worked perfectly together with the potatoes and beef. So comforting and so good. I did have to cover the pan and cook for two hour due to using a deep, round casserole dish. I would recommend a pyrex 13x9 pan instead so the meat gets tender quicker. I used a blade steak that was marbled with fat so it came out very tender. Thanks.
Fantastico! This reminded me of the way my Italian mom cooked steak when I was a kid. Italian soul food at its finest. The only change I made was to up the tomatoes to a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes. I enjoyed this dish with a glass of dry red wine and lots of good Italian bread to sop up the juices. Marie, thanks for bringing back happy memories--I will make this treat again!