Recipe by FloridaNative
I get a daily diabetic recipe by email, and this is one that sounded like an easy creation for a busy weeknight - I haven't made it yet but I think it sounds delicious! I adjusted the sugar quantity a bit - 1 tsp seemed like a bit much! Recipe comes from "Italian Diabetic Meals in 30 Minutes - Or Less!". Diabetic Exchanges: 1 Vegetable, 3 Lean Meat
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 lb flank steak
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup canned plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano (1 teaspoon dried)
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup black olives, pitted and halved
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon sugar (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the flank steak and cook for 5-6 minutes per side for medium rare, longer if desired. Remove the steak from the skillet and keep warm.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan drippings and saute for 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and oregano and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the vinegar and olives and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the sugar and cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the steak with the sauce.