Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Alex Guarnaschelli's "The Cooking Loft"
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced paper thin
- ground pepper
- 2 large onions, shredded on a grater or food processor
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 5 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 (6 ounce) New York strip steaks, at room temperature
- 6 -8 basil leaves, shredded
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add garlic, salt and pepper, and saute 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add grated onion and oregano. Cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes to pan. Cook 5 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes. Stir well, breaking tomatoes as you do.
- Season steaks with salt and pepper. Sear steaks in a very hot cast iron skillet with vegetable oil. Cook 4-5 min on each side for medium rare.
- Transfer steaks to tomato sauce. Baste sauce over steaks and let stand off heat 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with shredded basil leaves and serve.