Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
- 1 -2 lb diced stewing steak or 1 -2 lb round steak, and cut it up yourself
- 1⁄2-1 lb beef sausage (the “linked” kind)
- 1 large onion
- beef bouillon (Oxo or similar)
- 1 -2 package puff pastry
- Put some oil or Lea& Perrins in a big pot I prefer Lea and Perrins as it adds flavor and isnt as fattening as oil.
- Brown your meat hard and fast to seal in as much flavor as possible and give it loads of color.
- This is where I add as much Oxo (made according to the packet) to keep the meat covered.
- You could use beef stock instead you can end up using a lot of Oxo!
- Bring to the boil, and then simmer over a low heat for as long as you can.
- The last time I made it was simmering for 4-5 hours.
- Just keep topping up with your stock.
- I like to add pepper and worcester sauce or hp sauce just to give it a bite.
- Add your onion about 1 hour before you plan to stop cooking it any less and its a little too crunchy any more and its just boiled onion.
- When just about done simmering add cornstarch or other thickening agent youre aiming for really thick brown gravy.
- Place in a pie dish and leave to cool.
- Roll out your puff pastry in a floured surface big enough to cover your pie with overlap on the edges If youre making a big pie two packs is best.
- Bake in the oven at 200°c/400°f for about 20-30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and puffy.