Recipe by catalinacrawler
This steak picado recipe is so good and so easy. Its great for nachos or you could have it with beans & rice with a couple of tortillas or it makes a crazy good burrito!! It also makes its own juice so you could probably even add some rice to it and make it a stew. (fyi, i wouldnt leave the broth out as one reviewer suggested, it makes the dish too tomato-ey, more like a chili...its still tasty but its not steak picado)
- 2 lbs round steaks, cut into 1 x 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 jalapenos, diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (10 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 (4 ounce) canel pato salsa fresca or 1 (4 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3⁄4 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- generously salt and pepper the steak pieces and lightly brown in a little bit of oil for 3 minutes in a medium sized pot.
- add onion & garlic, saute for 2 minutes more.
- add remaining ingredients, bring to a low boil.
- reduce heat, cover and let it simmer for 45 -60 minutes.
- this can also be converted to a crock pot recipe. after browning the meat in a skillet, transfer to a crock pot, add remaining ingredients and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8.