Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This steak picado recipe is so good and so easy. Its great for nachos or you could have it with beans & rice with a couple of tortillas or it makes a crazy good burrito!! It also makes its own juice so you could probably even add some rice to it and make it a stew. (fyi, i wouldnt leave the broth out as one reviewer suggested, it makes the dish too tomato-ey, more like a chili...its still tasty but its not steak picado)
- 2 lbs round steaks, cut into 1 x 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 jalapenos, diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (10 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 (4 ounce) canel pato salsa fresca or 1 (4 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3⁄4 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- salt & pepper
- generously salt and pepper the steak pieces and lightly brown in a little bit of oil for 3 minutes in a medium sized pot.
- add onion & garlic, saute for 2 minutes more.
- add remaining ingredients, bring to a low boil.
- reduce heat, cover and let it simmer for 45 -60 minutes.
- this can also be converted to a crock pot recipe. after browning the meat in a skillet, transfer to a crock pot, add remaining ingredients and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8.
Really good meal as soft tacos. It does make alot of sauce so next time I'll leave out the water. Lots of leftovers for another night too. Prepared in the crock-pot on low.
This was a hit at our house! We had it with fresh tortillas and it was a tasty dinner. I also used Rotel tomatoes and green chilis and it had plenty of punch.
This is the second time, I made this plate. So just added a picture of my plate...
I think this recipe is good...